You cannot use Agnes' ability if you assign horror to an asset.
Q: Which triggers first: Parallel Agnes Baker ability or Heirloom of Hyperborea? What about Crystallizer of Dreams? A: An event card is placed on top of its owner’s discard pile during step 4 of the play/initiation sequence, so any effect that modifies where the event goes (such as Parallel Agnes Baker or Crystallizer of Dreams) must occur during that step. An effect that triggers “after you play” an event but does not modify where the event goes (such as Heirloom of Hyberborea’s ability) would naturally trigger just after step 4. - FAQ, v.2.0, August 2022
После того как на «Агнес Бейкер» положен хотя бы 1 ужас: Нанесите 1 рану 1 врагу в вашей локации. (Не чаще 1 раза в фазу.)
: +1 за каждый ужас на «Агнес Бейкер».
Агнес Бейкер - Оборот
Размер колоды: 30.
Возможные карты: карты Мистика () уровня 0–5, карты Выжившего () уровня 0–2, нейтральные карты уровня 0–5.
Обязательные карты (не идут в счёт размера колоды): «Гиперборейская реликвия», «Тёмные воспоминания», 1 случайная базовая слабость.
Can I play with Agnes?
Give me the sense to wonder
To wonder if she’s free
Give me a sense of wonder
If they’ve picked her before me
Give me the strength to hold my hand out
And pick that youthful face
Don't need xp to unlock this deck
Gonna play through it all
Break me into that bad place
Can I play with Agnes?
She’d look so cool with a crystal ball
Can I play with Agnes?
Her evasion’s rather small
Can I play with Agnes?
The players looked at me and laughed at me (ha ha) they said:
Can I play with Agnes?
Use blinding light, its fine, you`ll seeee
Woah, they said use blinding light you`ll see
I stared hard at the encounters
I said I'll Scry, I'll see whats below
We can prepare for this mischief
For two cards and the next
Oh then I fixed them with a freezing glance
You could see the fear in their eyes
I said you wanna know the truth son?
Well I’ll show you the truth
Its an agility test needing five or higher
Listen to me, said the players
Can I play with Agnes?
Agnes Baker is one of the most powerful investigators out there and here's why:
- First of all, with her 5 , she can withstand most of the treacheries requiring skill tests the encounter deck throws at her.
- Her other stats are quite low, but the class has so many ways to hande that, that it is not really relevant in the end.
With the solved, she just needs way to mitigate her 3 other low stats. And ways there are in the class card pool, most of them Spells that can be triggered using her strongest stat .
- Her 3 is already quite acceptable, considering you won't be using it much, except to sometimes, in an emergency, evade an enemy if you can't currently kill it or blind it.
- Her 2 may be the most difficult stat to balance, if you're playing solo. If you're playing multiplayer, you probably want to focus Agnes on killing the damn enemies. Back to solo then. Again, cards have so many ways to mitigate that: Drawn to the Flame, Rite of Seeking, maybe use that "Look what I found!", and the neutral cards Flashlight and Perception.
- Her 2 may be the easiest stat to balance, right off the bat with Shrivelling and later on with Shrivelling (3), Shrivelling (5) and Song of the Dead (2). What's more, all those Spells have a strong synergy with Agnes' ability, dealing even more damage to the enemies you're attacking.
- The ability of Agnes is very reliable, as lot of things can deal damage to Agnes: treacheries, enemy attacks, even her own Spells. She also has access to ways of mitigating the sanity hits: Fearless and Peter Sylvestre.
- Her modifier is quite good too, for the same exact reason.
With the mulligan rule in this game, grabbing a Spell in your starting hand is not that difficult, and you still have the Arcane Initiate to help you out.
Here is a (solo) sample deck: arkhamdb.com
Review of parallel Agnes. I played her for 3 scenarios as cluer (our campaign isn't finished) and found her new ability better than i had expected.
Parallel Agnes can be found here. I created alternate weaknesses for all parallel investigator, based on the boss of each adventure which can be found here. Except the weakness for daisy, i haven't playtested them yet so changes are possible.
Base stats remain the same, but her HP and Sanity have been swapped. High means she excels when using spells and resisting many treacheries but her low other stats mean she can't do anything without spells.
Higher HP allows for more uses of her new ability. When the game was new, needed sanity to endure side effects of Shrivelling. With the addition of new asset spells like Azure Flame or Eye of Chaos that's not necessary anymore.
Her new abilites read:
- As an additional cost to play a Spell event, you may take 1 damage. If you do, reduce the cost to play that event by 2, and you may shuffle that event back into your deck instead of discarding it.
- effect: +1. You may heal 1 damage.
Like her old ability, it is both a blessing and curse because liberal use can kill you (enemy attacks, trecheries, location effects, Azure Flame,...). Her new ability is more flexible and gets better with new spell events. cards tend to be expansive and with limited charges so the first part of her ability really helps going all out on events. Shuffling them back into your deck is also a huge boon, as you might draw it again (i think i used read the signs 4-6 times in one scenario). Though it makes drawing other cards less likely.
As of writing this review, i'm not sure you can use her ability on spells that cost 0 ressources to shuffle them back into your deck. I'm assuming yes.
New is a straight heal, keeping her alive and allowing for more uses of her first ability. If you make liberal use of her first ability like i did, you will need this. Also note that it heals you if the test fails (so combos nice with fail to win stuff).
Similar to parallel Skids. When upgrading spells (not limited to events), you may keep the lower level version in your deck, which does not count against your deck size. For 2 XP each, you can have 20 Ward of Protection so you never need to worry about treacheries anymore (but the horror...).
Spells events of note LV 0:
- Blinding Light: Evade with and 1 damage. Potentially lose 1 action, which is why i dislike this.
- Deny Existence: Avoid some nasty effects and damage/ horror. Very scenario dependant.
- Ethereal Form: Evade with + , very high chance of success and can't be engaged. Recommended.
- Hypnotic Gaze: Very costly Dodge, may damage enemy. Enemy attacks can be avoided with tactics and effect is not reliable. Not recommended.
- Moonlight Ritual: Useful in doom based decks. Take 1 damage to shuffle into your deck.
- Open Gate: Qualifies for your ability, 1 ressources may not be worth 1 damage. Scenario dependant.
- Read the Signs: Investigate with + , very high chance of success, gain 2 clues and ignore some effects. Recommended.
- Spectral Razor: Fight with + , very high chance of success, included engage action and 3 damage on non elite. Recommended.
- Storm of Spirits: Damages all enemies at your location. Recommended for 3-4 players.
- Tides of Fate: Lots of / tokens. Use only if you need them for other cards.
- Voice of Ra: Qualifies for your ability, so can be shuffled into your deck. Not recommended unless you need ressources.
- Ward of Protection: Cancel a treachery that would ruin your day. Qualifies for your ability, so shuffle it into your deck. Recommended.
Agnes looses access to survivor lv 0-2 but gains Spells lv 0-3 and occult 0-3. Note that these spells are not limited to events.
This includes the following cards, at the time of writing of this review:
- Hallowed Mirror: Your relic slot is heavily contested (Holy Rosary for more ), but bonded Soothing Melodys heal is very helpful. They're also spells for Arcane Initiate and your ability. Pay 1 damage, heal 2 damage and shuffle it back into your deck?
- Hand of Fate: Very costly Dodge, may add . Not recommended, unless you need for other effects.
- Blood Eclipse 1, 3: Take damage to deal more. 1 xp version is relatively efficient but i'd not recommend 3 xp version. I'd only take this if you're the groups fighter.
- Radiant Smite: Combo with Tempt Fate for max damage. Rather unreliable unless Sister Mary is in your group, not recommended.
- Obfuscation: Spell asset that ignores 3 OAs. Not recommended.
- Suggestion: Spell asset that evades with + . Use events or some of the with extra effects instead, not recommended.
- Archaic Glyphs: These require tests, but with her 2 base i wouldn't consider these.
- Cryptic Grimoire: This card's upgrades have not been released as of writing this review. Tempt Fate and Tides of Fate may help to translate the grimoire.
- Both versions of Feed the Mind require tests, so you're bound to fail.
- Occult Lexicon: Hand slot that adds draw/ discard/ damage events.
- Occult Invocation: Fight and discard cards for more damage. Arcane Initiate should keep your hand full, so recommended.
- Segment of Onyx: Another contestant for relic slot, so very XP intense (Relic Hunter). Does nothing until you have all 3 parts and needs search effects to work (Backpack). 3 desk slots you lose for spell events. Not recommended.
- Gaze of Ouraxsh: Testless damage, depending on blurse tokens revealed. Use only if your deck is built around that mechanic.
- Alter Fate 1/ 3: Discard nastry treacheries. Scenario dependant.
In short, her new deckbuilding offers access to more combat spells and blurse tech. However lv 0-2 gives her access to cheap soaks and fail to win combo, which means card draw. Some of note:
- Lucky!: Turn a fail into a success
- Leather Coat: Soak damage from your ability
- Flare to search for Arcane Initiate
- Jessica Hyde: Soak damage from your ability
- Peter Sylvestre: Soak for Ward of Protection
- Take Heart, Drawing Thin, Rabbit's Foot (+Relic Hunter): Fail to gain cards and ressources
- New ability: Arcane Initiate and Word of Command allow you to search for spells for your ability (and the latter can also trigger it).
- 0-2: Scavenging 2, Sixth Sense (or other investigate spells): Recycle items like Leather Coat, Cherished Keepsake, Abyssal Tome or Heirloom of Hyperborea. Items that soak damage combo nice with your ability.
- 0-2: Flare, A Chance Encounter, Summoned Hound: Extra actions without the risk of Vengeful Hound ruining your day
Since the reviews of this character were close to the game's release, they don’t mention the absolute perfect partner for Agnes: Carolyn Fern. In a duo that’s closer to a psych study than an adventuring party, the waitress can take horror four times a turn and the therapist can keep up and grow rich. (Every phase? Yes, because of the quick trigger of forbidden knowledge, and the fact you can have two. As well as pain pills. Of course, you won’t have to do this every turn unless you have a truly wretched encounter deck, bonded enemies, and weaknesses that spawn foes.)
If you’re going this route, ancient stones and solemn vows, as well as the big man on campus, allow a tremendous amount of healing. The new book of psalms means you can even fill the bag with beneficial tokens while getting paid.
It’s a breath of fresh air if you’ve ever played Agnes before, being torn between the horror you get from the encounter deck, shriveling, and enemies, and your natural urge to use your power. Send your foes packing as you spin into your delusions of being an ancient witch from an era undreamed of.
(For a really nifty combo, you can use dark horse and the resources Carolyn gives you to play costly cards on your turn, and get plus one versus anything in the encounter deck. It also gives you an outside chance of passing agility checks, which most campaigns have a few of.)
The duo can easily become a trio or quartet, but fill your ranks with saner investigators. You’re going to need a lot of personalized attention, and remember a therapist’s hour only lasts 50 minutes.
Just finished the Path to Carcosa campaign. Got a cheeky idea for next run ... play Agnes Baker and "accidentally" speak His name aloud once a phase. Get horror each time → deal damage to an enemy at your location. :D Need to pack some horror heal/soak though :))